Tuesday, July 7, 2015

A Good Fish Dinner

Did any one else read this book as a child?


For some reason, it was one of my favourites growing up. The hungry fox takes a fish from the back of the wagon headed for market and when his fox friend sees and smells the delicious fish dinner, he decides to get some fish for himself. Unfortunately, he can't stop at one and as he is stealing fish after fish for himself, the wagon driver catches him and ends up with a fox pelt to sell at the market along with his fish.


This is totally unrelated to todays post, but I thought of the title while putting together my recipe of salmon cakes that we had for dinner last night. See, a good fish dinner it fits. Ha!

Tired of the same old same old grilled salmon I usually make, I did a little Pinterest-ing last night and found a yummy looking salmon cake recipe. And since it's been a while since I shared a recipe...

Doesn't everything taste better battered, breaded and fried?

That's what my husband said at least.


Anyhow, my recipe was loosely based off of this one by Aubrey who blogs at Homegrown & Healthy.

Fresh Salmon Cakes

Ingredients
1.5 lbs salmon filet
2T butter
3 eggs beaten
1C bread crumbs (I don't usually have Panko, so day old or toasted bread blended or food processed works well)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon + 1T
2T fresh parsley minced
2t chill powder
2T olive oil

Directions
1. Melt butter in a hot skillet and cook the fish through - about 5 minutes per side depending on the thickness.
2. While the fish cools, mix the rest of the ingredients together - leaving out the olive oil. Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3. Divide the salmon mixture into 6 equal portions and form a patty with your hands, packing it together quite firmly. Return to the fridge for 45 minutes to an hour.
4. Heat the olive oil in your skillet and brown the cakes on both sides. It may take 2 batches, depending on the size of your skillet.

I recommend serving them hot on caesar salad (what we did) or on a brown rice and veggie bowl (what we're doing with the leftovers). Even my boys loved them. Delish!

Oh, and here's my baby sitting up. Where has the time gone?






No comments:

Post a Comment