Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Enjoying the Psalms

I began reading through Psalms again this week.
I'm only at chapter 13 and already I'm feeling so encouraged.


But, can I make a confession?
I almost didn't. 

I felt like the Psalms were cheating. 
They're short and they're generally pretty easy to ingest. 

I have a Bachelor's Degree from a Christian University, after all.
I memorized hundred's of verses.
I took 5 semesters of Greek.
GREEK!

And somewhere along the line I came to the conclusion that reading the Psalms was cheating. Like I should be studying out Revelation and all of its mysteries. 

It's great too. 
But let's consider for a minute the fact that both inspired books are a part of the same God breathed Bible.

It's kind of like how I used to view running. 
Why bother with a teeny tiny 5K when you could run a 10K or half marathon?  

Well let me tell you, I've come around. 
A 5K would no doubt have me doubled over and gasping for air right now!

As I consider, I think it all boils down to pride in my life. 
I hold myself to some extra biblical standard that has no business being there.

What about you? 
Are you taking time to put aside your own misconceptions to read God's Word and be blessed by it?

No comments:

Post a Comment