Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Increased Awareness

Tuesday began just like any other morning, except that Braden didn't have to leave before the sun. To celebrate a more relaxed departure (0800) we enjoyed a sit-down breakfast of coffee, pumpkin waffles, and pumpkin yogurt. I've included the link to our new favourite Fall waffle recipe, because it's definitely a keeper (and VERY simple) and the yogurt was just a homemade concoction of plain yogurt, pumpkin puree, almond butter, honey, and pumpkin pie spice.  Mmmm....

Ryder enjoys licking the yogurt spatula!

What began as a lack of motivation (it just seemed like a lot of work to get myself and Ryder dressed, drive to the gym, work out, drive home, shower, etc.) instead inspired a great morning road run. They've been a little more difficult to fit in because of dropping temperatures, but Ryder bundled up and we were both happy to get some fresh air and save the time it would have taken to get out the door and to the gym on base.

Here's my little bundled boy. <3
While I was showering and getting ready for the day (story time at the library this morning), Ryder decided he would help himself to a snack from the pantry. As you can see, we're huge Annie's fans!

"Dixie Did It!" Isn't going to work this time...
Learning to clean up after his messes.






















But none of those routine events could eclipse the highlight of our morning. Ryder was standing by the front door just waiting for me to lace up my running shoes, when he noticed a picture of Braden with his 3 siblings - taken probably at least 5 years ago - and said, "Daddy."  It happened again at lunch time while I was buckling him into his highchair. "Daddy" he said as he pointed to a small 4x6 of he and Braden taken the day Braden deployed last year. Then once more at nap time as I was tucking him into bed and arranging all his little creatures - "DADDY" he exclaimed and pointed to a canvas family photo I had made for the nursery while Braden was deployed.  <3

Ryder sees, "Daddy!"
It's obvious who the favourite is!  ;)  But even greater than that, it's so exciting to see Ryder making sense of the world around him and developing increased awareness of his surroundings.

The excitement of my child noticing evidence of his Daddy located all around the house made me stop and think (this is the time of year to be thankful, after all) about how well I take the time to notice evidences of my Heavenly Father all around me. God has blessed me and our little family in countless ways and I need to be looking for them and expressing praise and gratitude to Him for them.

Enjoying a reflective day of thankfulness,
Jayne :)


No comments:

Post a Comment