Sunday, November 9, 2014

With Walking Comes (Even More) Wilfulness

As I mentioned last week, our little guy is finally walking on his own two feet.  

WOHOO!

In the last week he's progressed from a stiff-legged elephant lumber to bending his knees and picking up the pace a little. And with this new mobility is coming a new sense of adventure.  This morning at church he left Daddy and Mama in the coffee area and long walk into the entry way. When he had almost reached the door, he turned around and looked through a sea of legs to see that he really was a long way from the safety of proximity.  And that was it for the morning, after being rescued and returned, he held on tight for the rest of the morning. 

In addition to increased (albeit short-lived) bravery, we are also noticing an increased ability to show his little will. Now here's where the rest of you Mamas can laugh at me and tell me I have had this coming... :)  

Don't get me wrong.  I know that our little guy was not born an angel, he came just as sinful as they all do. But, it's a whole lot easier to be obedient when you are carried everywhere you need to be. 

For example, on Thursday night Braden was flying late and so I went through our bedtime routine on my own with Ryder - dinner, bath, Bible story, prayer, and pi's. Our last task was to get those sweet little teeth brushed.  But somebody had other ideas.  

I called from the bathroom, "Ryder!  Come, let's brush your teeth."  But somebody had already walked down the hallway to his room and was ready to climb into bed. When I repeated the call, he walked out into the hallway and said, "Nooooo" and returned to his room.  

Uh oh...

It's moments like these where I need to remind myself not to laugh at how cute Ryder is, and address the heart behind his defiance. 

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

These are the precious Mama moments that I now enjoy. And I truly do enjoy them, even the difficult ones. I still need a lot of wisdom, but children are a gift and I intend to cherish this little guy for just as long as he's mine. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment