Saturday, November 1, 2014

What To Do About Remorse

The day started out normal enough. Typical Saturday - sleeping in a little and Belgian waffles for breakfast followed by errands.

Ryder enjoyed a visit with the birds and goats at our local farm market.


















Have I mentioned that he's now walking?
It only took a year and a half, but we are thrilled to watch him develop and see his own excitement at this new mobility.

Our last stop was at the farm store. We needed to pick up some water softening salt and I wanted to get a play mat I've had my eye on for Ryder for Christmas, since there was a sale today.
Shhhh... don't tell!

We were waiting in line to check out, and then it happened. I opened my mouth - and I shouldn't have. Having seen a gentleman with an unattractive small dog on a leash, I decided to mutter my unsolicited opinion. Even if the words were quiet, and I doubt anyone heard me, my conscience kicked in and I immediately felt remorse.

What in the world possessed me to think and then say something so ugly?

I'll know what didn't....  It wasn't a momentary lapse in judgement. It wasn't even just a slip of the tongue.

In the book of Luke, we learn that 'out of the abundance of the heart [the] mouth speaks.' So when I say something that is unkind or even just something careless, my tongue can't be blamed. When we get down to the root of it, it's what's in my heart that comes out of my mouth.

And so, just buckling down and not saying what I'm thinking isn't going to fix the problem. My heart produces thoughts that come out of my mouth, I need to address the heart to fix my speech. From David, I can learn that I need to confess my sin in addition to being sorry for it. And like Paul, I can be thankful that remorse led to repentance - which is really just a big word for the desire to not do that again.

Today has been a day of thoughtful reflection followed by a desire to grow and mature in this faith that I hold fast. So thankful that though I fall, I will not be utterly cast down because the LORD upholds my hand.

Feeling thankful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment