Saturday, April 4, 2015

Spring Planting

This is the second year that I've attempted a little garden. Back in Washington, I put a lot of muscle and sweat into removing sod and turning the soil by hand. Just for fun, here are a few photos of that work in progress...




Unfortunately, the hottest two weeks of summer last year happened to be the two weeks we spent in Alabama. Without water, we lost just about everything but the peas, beets, and beans. The rest of what survived (pumpkins and squash) went to the new homeowners. 

Spring is here once again. Our new backyard certainly isn't as green, but I'm determined to have better results this time around. I have a little bit less to work with, but the two raised beds in the back now have soil, fertilizer, and one of them is already seeded with the more hearty vegetables - snap peas, beets, carrots, lettuce, and kale. 

Before...
...and after.

I found this big galvanized metal tub at a local antique store, and after Braden drilled a few holes in the bottom for excess water to run out, I packed it full of topsoil and so far have just the green onion planted. Once there's less chance of overnight frost, I'll get the rest of my seeds planted. 


Hopeful for some fresh produce this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment