Sunday, January 4, 2015

Thoughts on Beginning a New Year

It's only 9pm and already I have the house to myself. Ryder usually goes down at 7 and Braden's fighting his sickness with additional rest as well. 

So here I am with my Sparkling Cherry Lime Izze (yum!) meditating on my day in general and considering this new year that has just begun. 

I'm not one to make new years resolutions. I have nothing against them, but I also tend to be a realist; meaning, if I didn't do something yesterday or the day before, I'm not naive enough to think that turning the page on a calendar is going to motivate me to change. I find that I am generally internally motivated. Don't get me wrong, I know that I should be constantly looking for areas in my life that I can improve and ways to grow, but January 1 doesn't seem to influence that very greatly.  

My thoughts tend to drift to the addition of a new family member and continuing to learn and love life here in Nevada. Only God knows what the coming year holds for us and that alone causes a certain amount of excitement and peace.

How about you?  Do you set goals for yourself? Does the start of a new year invoke a lot of reflection and motivation to change in the one to come?

In my reflection tonight, I would be remiss if I didn't share how I was incredibly encouraged at church this morning. After a few weeks away, it was refreshing to get back into our study in the book of Matthew.

A few applications that I took away from the message in our Matthew 13:31-32 text:
1. Don't be discouraged, God works through small beginnings.
2. Don't ever think that darkness is greater than light; as Christians, our influence in our families and beyond is stronger than that of unbelievers because light is more powerful than darkness.
3. Be a Spirit-filled, Spirit-controlled blessing to both believers and unbelievers, so that God can work through you.

Praise God for his word to instruct, encourage and motivate us. If I wasn't motivated by this new year, I certainly was by the teaching of God's word this morning.  Feeling blessed and thankful!

Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment