Tuesday, October 14, 2014

DIY Thanksgiving Pennant

Yesterday I told you that I had a little project up my sleeve.  Well, it's done, but I'm not overly pleased with the finished product. 

It all started with Pinterest.  About a week ago, I came across a DIY tutorial that looked sweet and simple - a great way to add a seasonal touch to our new (to us) home that still feels a little impersonal. Have I mentioned that I L.O.V.E. burlap?  I do. I just love everything about it - except for the mess it makes when you cut it, haha!

The step by step instructions were great. It truly was a simple project and took less than an hour to put together with very minimal cost (depending on what you already have on hand) - about $5. 

The problem is, that our living is boring.  All the walls are beige and the moulding is white. My piano is brown.  Even our couches are very neutral - the old house we sold had beautiful rich green textured walls with coved contrasting ceilings.  Sigh... I'm missing the little red house now.

Here's what the brown on brown pennant looked like as it hung in a white mantle in front of brown walls.  Like I said - B.O.R.I.N.G!

So then today I but up a few pieces of fall-colored scrap quilting fabric I had stored away. Hmmm, a little better, I think.  But it still needs something...

Maybe some gold leaves or polka dots stencilled around the letters?  I need help, what do you suggest?
On the bright side, the banner is reversible and I plan to paint (in red, this time) 'BE MERRY' and turn it into a Christmas pennant once American Thanksgiving is over. I've still got some time to figure that one out, I guess. 

There you have it.  A bit of a dud, but what I've been up to nonetheless. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment